About the SDC
The Swaziland Democracy Campaign is a broad coalition of progressive organisations inside Swaziland and in South Africa united around the demand for multiparty democracy in Swaziland. It is a campaign born of the organised representatives of the struggling people of Swaziland, always acting in tandem with the momentum inside the country and guided by their political objectives.
The SDC co-ordinates the activities of the democratic forces and does not act on behalf of the Swazi people, but in full compliance with their directives and interests as provided by their democratic organisations united under the umbrella of the Swaziland United Democratic Front (SUDF), which is their political leadership inside Swaziland uniting all progressive forces for change.
The SDC was born in February, 2010 and adopted the following key campaigning priorities as its guide;
- A global week of action beginning on April 12, 2010 which had a series of in-built activities, including the Launch of the SDC Swaziland Chapter, which was violently disrupted by the Swazi police, the highly successful Public seminar on the real issues in Swaziland and COSATU-led Mpumalanga Provincial activities.
- Development of a Swaziland Information Bank where we shall deposit and receive information about developments inside the country on a regular basis.
- Establishment of a Swazi Democracy Fund, whose full details shall be released in due course.
- A Global march for democracy in Swaziland, otherwise known as the Swazi Democracy March (SDM), on September 7, 2010, to coincide with the so-called independence celebrations; to raise and popularise the struggle for democracy. This march shall involve people from all over the world joining the Swazi people inside Swaziland for a historic march whose details are yet to be fully released, in order to make the world taste the reality faced by the Swazi people everyday. The SDM shall include fact-finding missions, visits to various areas to assess the conditions in the country and briefings. A huge media contingent from all over the world is expected to accompany the events.
- An acceleration of a comprehensive boycott of luxury goods of the ruling class and the non-handling of items such as weapons by workers all over the world, that are used to brutalise the people, as well as isolation of members of the oppressive regime from schools and other places where they receive superior attention that those reserved for ordinary people inside the country.